|Added to catalog on:||5.25.2023|
PHOTOETCHED - METAL GUN BARREL - LINK-AND-LENGTH TRACKS - DECALS SHEET FOR 2 VERSIONS - COLOR INSTRUCTION SHEET
The early years of WW2 highlighted the inadequacies of Italian medium tanks in modern warfare, which was now characterized by clashes between heavily armed and heavily armored tanks, and also by the use of more effective and lethal anti-tank weapons. Following detailed analysis of German and wartime opponents British and Soviet military vehicles, a 26 ton heavy tank was created. This new tank, which underwent several design changes over time, incorporated more modern features such as inclined front plates, a more powerful and better performing 420 HP diesel engine and a more suitable main armament, the 75/34 Ansaldo gun. The P26/40 as it would forever be known, unfortunately retained some obsolescent features that were characteristic of Italian armoured vehicle production from the mid 1930s, namely the armor plate riveting snd the leaf spring suspension system.
Mistake in the description? Report problem
The Carro Armato P26 / 40 was an Italian heavy tank from the Second World War. The first prototypes were built in 1942, and serial production continued in the period 1942-1943. In total, about 100 examples of this vehicle were built. The Carro Armato P26 / 40 was powered by a FIAT V12 Spa 342 engine with 330 HP. The vehicle is armed with a single 75mm Ansaldo L / 34 tank gun and 2 Breda mod. 38 cal. 8 mm.
Design work on Carro Armato P26 / 40 started as early as 1940, but due to problems with the engine and suspension, the first prototypes were not built until 1942. What's more, despite the proud title of a "heavy tank", the Carro Armato P26 / 40 was not equal to the armor or the effectiveness of the main armament of the German or Soviet tanks bearing such a name. In fact, it was a medium tank with average armor by the standards of 1942-1943 and such main armament. The Carro Armato P26 / 40 was also never used in combat by Italian units and served only as a capture tank in some German units stationed on the Apennine in the period 1943-1945.